Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Kissing Frogs or Princes?

When I woke up this morning I look a quick peek at my “to-do” list and noticed that I had 25 phone calls to make.
 
So, naturally I started organizing my file cabinet and fiddling with my website ….you get the picture.
It’s when I found myself dusting my “already-dust-free office” that I knew I needed to kiss that frog and get it over with.

Making phone calls is not the favorite part of my business day. And, believe me, there’s no rational reason behind my dislike for the phone. In fact, the funny part is that once I start making the calls, I never really mind it. It’s just getting into the “phone-calling” mode that I dread.

So, if there are phone calls to make, you can bet that I’ll find something else to distract me.
In my quest for trying to solve my phone-call anxiety, I discovered two opposite theories of thought.
The first is that you should attack your most dreaded small business chores first thing in the morning.
In other words, kiss that frog and get it over with.

The second theory is the complete opposite.

You should grab your prince (or princess) and kiss them first thing in the morning.
This theory is for those of you who need a quick shot of inspiration and encouragement to start your day off on the right foot. Beginning your day on a happy, positive note, sets the tone for the rest of your day.

I don’t think it matters which theory works for you. But, you clearly can’t kiss both the frog and prince so you need to decide which strategy works best for you.

For me, I am definitely a frog-kissing kind of a girl. I need to grab that frog and kiss him first thing in the morning; if I do, my day is guaranteed to go much more smoothly.

And it works for me every time. If I get my phone calls made early in the day, I seem to accomplish 10x more than if I wait and make the calls later. If I don’t get my dreaded tasks out of the way, I tend to perseverate on them all day long.

But, I know that there are others who need to kiss their prince to make the most of their day. They need a happy task to kick off the day ahead.

We all have tasks that we avoid. Maybe you hate writing blog posts. Or perhaps it’s updating your Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts. The question is, should you take those tasks off your plate first thing in the morning or wait until you’ve accomplished something more positive before you attack them?

Once you discover if you’re a frog or prince kisser, your day will sail by much more smoothly.


Custom Office Products

15% Off + Free Shipping!







No comments:

Post a Comment