Sunday, June 1, 2014

Mothers Who Own Businesses Are Doing Fine

With Mother’s Day a few days ago, a new Manta survey on women business owners shows that these women cannot be easily categorized.
 

One thing is for sure:
Motherhood has not deterred entrepreneurship. Only 17% had businesses before children; 6% started businesses while pregnant, 57% after children were in school, and 15% once they reached high school or college age.


Other interesting findings:
  • Two thirds (66%) of women business owners do not have any day-to-day assistance (e.g., nannies, housekeepers). But a quarter (25%) had at least one paid person providing child care assistance.
  • The vast majority (74%) run businesses because they want to, not because they need to financially.
  • The most important skillset needed to be a working mother is multi-tasking and organization (91%). Other important skillsets: communication skills, problem solving skills, and time management and delegation.

As a business owner myself whose children are now grown with children of their own, I can add anecdotally to Manta’s findings from my own experience:
  • Running a business created a positive view of a working woman for my children (so they tell me)
  • The vast number of hours devoted to business did not shortchange attention given to my children. I worked from home and usually had flexibility to schedule the work around my children’s activities.
  • Owning a business provided financial rewards that I’ve been able to share with family and organizations I help support.

Article Source: http://www.barbaraweltman.com/blog/index.php/2014/05/mothers-who-own-businesses-are-doing-fine/



No comments:

Post a Comment